About Me

This blog follows my journey while drinking my way through the Post Office Vault's beer passport taking in 200 beers from around the world

Tuesday 20 August 2013

Gouden Carolus Classic

I have regularly stated that my beer preference goes, light beers and pale ales at the top, dark beers such as porters and stouts at the bottom and fruit flavoured beers best not talked about. So when taking on this darker beer I wasn't hopeful of being blown away but expected it to be another solid beer. Gouden Carolus Classic seems to have been named for something to do with the golden coins of a Holy Roman Emperor and was enjoyed while fox hunting. I'm all about context for beer but as fox hunting is illegal in the UK and I don't know any emperors I just drank it in the pub like every other beer. I was very surprised I really enjoyed the deep malty flavour of this beer and the kind of warm feeling on the tongue. If I ever end up in 16th century Belgium I will try and go fox hunting if only for the beer. 4.5 out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment